Thursday, January 21, 2010

Internet Scams

Buying and selling a home can be a stressful event. Whether you decide to do it yourself or if you team up with a real estate broker. One way to do it yourself is to use Buying and Selling a Home for DummiesZillow.com. It is similar to the MLS but open and almost free. You can browse listed homes for free, you can even post your home and a "Make me move" price for free. Just this last week though, they started charging to actually list your home as "For Sale."

I used to have a listing on Zillow and was surprised by the number of Realtors that called me up wanting to list on the MLS with them. I had more activity from Realtors trying to get my business than I did of potential home buyers. However, I did have one interested buyer that I thought was just too good to pass up. I will post our email conversation below. The first message was sent through Zillow to me.

From Zillow:

RAPHAEL TUFOUR (raphael_tufour@yahoo..com) is contacting you about your home. Here is the message:
------
HELLO I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS PROPERTY OUTRIGHTLY. COULD YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME TO CONFIRM IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET FOR SALE. REGARDS, RAPHAEL TUFOUR
------
Please be aware that once you respond to RAPHAEL TUFOUR (raphael_tufour@yahoo.com), your e-mail address will no longer be anonymous to them.

Thanks for using Zillow.

Usually, I would have just junked this email right off. The indicators - all caps, misspellings, 'outrightly'.
But just for fun, I decided to use a secondary email account and respond.

Raphael,
This home is still available. What is your offer?


The next day he responded.

Sir,

I don`t believe in offer and counter offer. Just let me know the net/bottom price and if it is ok by me we proceed. 


Thanks

Raphael Tufour

I replied with the following in kind and mimicking his salutation.

Sir,
Compiling data from many sources I was able to come up with an asking price of $250,000.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Of course the funny part was this was way more than what I had listed as my asking price. He must have liked the price, or that I was communicating because he went back on his word and countered my offer for a price that was still higher than my listed asking price, and he also went back to all caps again.

WHAT ABOUT $220,00 SIR?

Confused, I wrote back.

I thought that you said that you "do not believe in offer and counter offer."
What is wrong with $250,000? Are you trying to cheat me?

Now he was confused.


Cheat you in what way sir? How do we proceed?? What is the requirements???


Thanks,

Raphael

What 'are' the requirements. Well, I only require you to be honest in your dealings. Let's see if he can do that.

Well, if you would like to proceed with the purchase price of $250,000 then I will contact my realtor and we can begin work on getting all the paperwork in order that is necessary to complete the sale.

 He must have thought that that was okay.


I would like us to proceed.

Raphael

Turn about's fair play. Let's see what he thinks of me requesting information from him.

To begin, I will need some basic information to prepare the forms.

What is your contact information?
Where do you live?
What is your primary purpose for making this purchase?
What will be your form of payment?

We may also request a current pre-approval letter from a reputable lender.
We may also request a copy of your credit report.

Thanks.

He responded quickly - but not with information. Rather with excuses.


Thanks for your email.
I will provide the requested information necessary to prepare the forms, but please let it be noted that i am a civil servant/government official whose account is highly monitored and regulated in line with civil service bureau for code of conduct for public servants.



In line with the above and as soon as we get things fixed,my handler may be coming with the funds cash in consignment for the invesment matters as the funds may not need to go through the usual banking system until the funds arrives at your end.


Let me know what you think about this.

Thanks
Raphael Tufour

And the truth comes out. He cannot deal honestly with others. I shot back a short reply.

I will tell you what I think about this. You failed to respond to my questions.

I never received another email in reply. It was kind of funny for a while. But sobering to think about how many people still get ripped off from shady internet scammers offering a deal that is too good to be true.
Do you have a story about Internet Scams or phishing emails?  Comment below and let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails