Sunday, March 7, 2010

What Is This Blog About?

This is another About Me post.

What is this blog about? Previously, we covered the motivation behind writing this blog, but how did I come up with my topic of choice?

Your Money: The Missing ManualThis is a Personal Finance blog. I had the idea to start blogging years before the first post ever materialized. While surfing through the various types of blogs trying to find my niche I discovered writers like MyMoneyBlog, TheSimpleDollar, GetRichSlowly, and Bargaineering. Those were the blogs that I connected with and could understand. My sisters always made fun of me for being a scrooge because I would choose the frugal path and save my money. I always imagined that they meant the Scrooge McDuck from DuckTales who would swim in his money vault full of gold rather than the sad, old miser Mr. Scrooge from the Christmas Carol. There needs to be a balance between saving and spending to achieve happiness.

Carl Barks' Greatest Ducktales Stories, Volume 1 [CARL BARKS GREATEST DUCKTA-V01]From a young age I was aware money probably because my mother taught me and I was paid for my work on the farm. I was part of an investing club (paper money) when I was in sixth grade and opened my first mutual fund the following year. I like tracking my money and investments. While, I do not have a tragic story of tens of thousands of credit card debt, I did have plenty of student loans to repay. I have watched my ING Savings account grow to the magic number of $10,000 several times. It is exhilarating! A few times I made poor choices with the money and lost it. Other times I used it wisely to pay down school loans.
I graduated and bought my first home at the top of the housing bubble. Now I am contemplating using some of my precious savings to sell my house - at a loss, to get out of my mortgage because I do not want to walk away or do a short sale. 

In short, my education in personal finance started when I was young. However, I know that I have still much to learn. And I am still human and I have made some mistakes and less than stellar choices with my money. I am writing this blog about personal finance to share some of my own experience and impart some of the wisdom that I have gained. I hope you enjoy following along the trails that I either choose to follow or those that I blaze anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails